• Linux/Unix; Windows 7 and above; OS X 10.8.5 and above
• 3D graphics card which supports OpenGL 3.3 and above
• 1 GB RAM or more
• 1.5 GB free on disk
- A dark room for realistic rendering — details like the Milky Way or star twinkling can't be seen in a bright room.
Download the correct package for your operating system directly from the main page.
- Double click on the stellarium-0.14.0-win32.exe (or stellarium-0.14.0-win64.exe on Windows x64) file to run the installer.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- Locate the Stellarium-0.14.0.dmg file in Finder and double click on it or open it using the Disk Utility application. Now, a new disk appears on your desktop and Stellarium is in it.
- Open the new disk and please take a moment to read the ReadMe file. Then drag Stellarium to the Applications folder.
- Note: You should copy Stellarium to the Applications folder before running it — some users have reported problems running it directly from the disk image (.dmg).
Check if your distribution has a package for Stellarium already — if so you're probably best off using it. If not, you can download and build the source.
For ubuntu we provide a package repository with the latest stable releases. Open a terminal and type:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:stellarium/stellarium-releases sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install stellarium
- Windows The Stellarium installer creates an item in the Start Menu under in Programs section. Select this to run Stellarium.
- MacOS X Double click on the Stellarium application. Add it to your Dock for quick access.
- Linux If your distribution had a package you'll probably already have an item in the GNOME or KDE application menus. If not, just use a open a terminal and type stellarium.
- ↑ Since version 0.14.0 only classic application can be work on Windows XP. Version 0.12.4 required Windows 2000 and above
- ↑ Version 0.12.4 required OS X 10.6.8. Version 0.10.6 required OS X 10.5. Version 0.10.2 runs on OS X 10.3.9
- ↑ Version 0.12.4 required 3D graphics card which supports OpenGL 1.2
- ↑ Version 0.12.4 required 3D graphics card which supports OpenGL 2.1 and above
- ↑ Or Stellarium-0.10.6-PPC.dmg for PowerPC MacOS X