As of version 0.10.4, Stellarium offers two ways to control a computerized telescope or telescope mount:
- the old client-server model: Stellarium is a "client" to a small independent program (a "telescope server") that drives the telescope. This method requires editing Stellarium's configuration file and running console applications, so it is not very user-friendly.
- It is the only option (for now) to command a RTS2 telescope.
- the Telescope Control plugin
Third party applications
These application act as "servers" in the client-server model. They can be used both with the old feature and the Telescope Control plug-in:
- StellariumScope is a program for MS Windows allowing Stellarium to control a variety of telescopes using the ASCOM drivers.
- An instruction on how to use the Telescope Control plug-in and StellariumScope to control a HEQ5/EQ6 type equatorial mount can be found here: HEQ5/EQ6. Written by Karl Van Louwersen.
- StellLXTSRB is a telescope server for Mac OS X, developed by Tony Barry. It has been used successfully with a Meade ETX-80 and an LX-90. According to its author, it will possibly work with any LX-emulating telescope.